A Few Reminders for People with Difficult Families (Especially During the Holidays)
- You are not alone. There is no such thing as a “perfect” family
- You are not obligated to have relationships with unhealthy people, even if they are members of your family
- You do not have to like every person in your family.
- You cannot create healthy relationships with people who are not interested in having healthy relationships. You can only create healthy boundaries around those people.
- You are not betraying anyone by speaking your truth (kindly). You are honoring yourself.
- Its okay to be different from the other people in your family
- You can create family relationships with people who are not related to you.